For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Fair...again


Well, it's that time again! But this Fair was awesome...well, if you like the whole 4H part of the fair. Which is what we're all about. I just don't trust those fair rides.
As soon as we got there, we watched the Pet Parade, full of people and their dogs dressed in costume. My favorite, though it was kind of cheating since the dog wasn't really in a costume, was Mary and her Little Lamb. The girl was dressed just as the story book pictures always make Mary look staff and all, and the pup was this tiny little bichon frise (I really have no idea how to spell that). They had put a little bow and bell on her. It was darling. Moo liked the girl dressed as a picnic table complete with a dog dressed as, well, a hot dog. Also pretty cute.

We got to see all kinds of animals - goats, sheep, rabbits, horses, cows, pigs and poultry of all types. Oh there were even guinea pigs. I liked seeing all the different types of foul - average and ornamental chicken, game foul, turkey...you name it, they had it. I also have a soft spot for sheep, always have, and the little black faced are my favorite. We met a very nice 4H girl who let us pet her sheep as she was bringing her back in from showing in the ring. Moo thought she didn't feel too soft, but was very nice. She felt like a shorn sheep to me, but what do I know. If we ever get enough land, I'm getting sheep. Another treat was seeing the "messy" pony. Moo said she looked like she spilled paint allover.

Then we came to the rabbits. Moo loved the rabbits and I have to say I can't blame her. They were all so cute. We met a nice family who owns the bunny pictured and since our daughters share the same name, we were allowed to pet the cutie.
That really made Moo's day and we stood there for maybe twenty minutes petting that little doe. I have been reading up on raising rabbits for fiber, since sheep just aren't an option and may never be one for me. To see Moo so happy interacting with them is wonderful. Hmmmm...


Surprisingly, Moo wanted to sit and watch the dwarf goats in the show ring, so that's what we did. We sat and watched the judge examine each animal and their 4H girls walk them around the ring. Moo and I each took a guess as to who we though would win and guess who got it right? Moo appears to be a natural goat judge. Who knew?
After wandering around a bit more, we made it up to the rodeo ring where Moo caught up with a few of her friends and we got to watch a timed shooting event on horseback. The riders would start at one end of the course and race around a

U-shaped set-up of balloons tied to cones. The goal was to pop all the balloons in the fastest time. The girls had fun for a while, but Moo was totally into it the whole time. She even threw a fit when we had to leave while the show was still going. Her friends were long gone by then, but we had stayed until I couldn't take it anymore...did I mention that it was 108* F that day and we had already gone through two big water bottles? Oh and I'm 9 months pregnant? So Moo was a little bummed when we had to leave, but I was excited that she had enjoyed herself so much that she didn't want to leave. At least for now, she's still her Mama's girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment