For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Who doesn't like Smore's?

Since I mentioned the Smore's cake in my Welcome post, I thought I should get busy and actually tell you about it. My Husband's birthday is in the beginning of summer and nothing says summer like smore's around a campfire. So I decided to make a Smore's inspired cake for his 30th birthday this year. Notice there is only one candle...we didn't want to burn the house down.
So the cake was just a store bought mix, your favorite chocolate mix will do. Next you will need your basic smore's supplies - chocolate bars, marshmallows and graham crackers. I also used marshmallow fluff between the cake layers which turned out to be a HUGE mistake as the fluff never sets and creates a very slippery top layer. The next time I make this cake I will just use vanilla frosting for that layer. Oh, and you will need a really good chocolate frosting.
Now all you have to do is follow the directions on the cake box, but before you bake the batter, break one of the chocolate bars (or more if you're feeling sinful) into each of the two 8 or 9 inch rounds. The chunks will get really soft but will hold their shape making for nice little morsels of deliciousness throughout the cake. Now bake the cake according to your package.
After the cake has baked and cooled, assemble like you would a normal cake using the vanilla frosting to ice between the layers. Next frost the outside of the cake with the chocolate frosting. I used large marshmallows cut in half to top the cake but you could use small ones to make a very pretty border for yours. Then I just crumbled some graham crackers and sprinkled them on top of the cake. Let me tell you now that the graham crackers are the BEST part. We were all fighting for the bits with the most cracker crumbles. Next time I make this cake I will press the crumbs into the sides of the cake in a very thick layer, since that was everyone's favorite. I think that little graham flavor is really what made the cake taste like a giant smore. It was delicious and would make a perfect cake for a child's camping themed party or any outdoor summer gathering. A hit with the 4 year old as well as the 30 year old! If you try it out, let me know how you liked it.

1 comment:

  1. oh I'll remember this one. Jeremy's favorite thing is camping, so we might just be having one of these in Nov :)

    ReplyDelete