For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Friday, August 6, 2010

The BakeOver MakeOver

As you know, I am into anything and everything farmgirl. My ultimate Queen of all things farm is MaryJane Butters of MaryJane's Farm fame. She has a magazine (to which I subscribe), an on-line chatroom (in which I am constantly chatting) and an on-line store (where I have made just a few purchases...). One of the ideas she has become noted for in the farmgirl community, as far as I know it, is the BakeOver. It's basically a fast, easy breakfast/lunch/dinner way of cooking that feeds your family in a hurry. You can check out her ideas and recipes on her website, www.maryjanesfarm.org or pick up a copy of her magazine found in quite a few bookstores around the country (our local Borders carries it, but our Barnes & Noble does not).
Not too long ago I ordered a small sample packet of MaryJane's Budget Mix - it's like an organic Bisquick. This is the base for her BakeOvers. So last night, after I opened my box to find this cute little pack of mix staring up at me, I had to make one. So I found a recipe in one of her magazines for a Potato, Ham and Gruyer BakeOver and set out to make it. I just had to post about it because I am hooked! Not only was it tasty, easy to cook and easy to clean up (because that is a big part of how I pick which recipes will be made again in the future...the clean up factor), but it came out looking JUST like the photo in the magazine! I've never had that happen before! Needless to say, I was very impressed with myself and the dish and though the Hubby was not equally enthused about my perfect presentation, he did enjoy the dinner. Oh, did I mention the monetary savings? The entire dinner, which fed the three of us with enough for a second meal today used one small onion, 3 potatoes, half a slice of ham and a handful of shredded cheese! Usually, that's about the amount the Hubby will eat on his own! Yet somehow, through the miracle of science or farming, we all feasted on this meager amount of food and still had half of it left for today! Hooray for the BakeOver and God bless the Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment