For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Children's Hospital Gifts

I am the "Mother Hen" of a group of Farmgirls who meet once a month to do all sorts of crafty things - without the kids. It's like an excuse to meet other Moms to chit-chat and hang out without someone always having to change a diaper or yell "stop hitting your sister" across the playground. And since all of us like to do crafty type things (or at least attempt them) it's a great way for us to do both without "little" interruptions. At the beginning of the year we chose a charity to support for the year, a thing we have vowed to do every year. This year we joined the million pillowcase challenge and will be donating pillowcases to the kids at our local Children's Hospital. Since we all have young kids, we thought this was a great idea. So at our last meeting I hosted a sew-in and we all brought fabric and started making our pillowcases which we will donate around Christmas time. I know, we're early, but I've got Number 2 coming in the fall, then Thanksgiving and Christmas (for which I make most of my gifts) and I just didn't know when we'd have time to make them toward the end of the year. We had a fun night but only got 2 pillowcases done. Not very productive, although we all got our fabric cut and measured for the cases...but it sure was a fun night. So today I sat down with the old sewing machine and finished up. Seven pillowcases in all for me, should have been 4 but I cut one piece a little too small and ended up making that one into 4 all on it's own. Don't ask, I was preoccupied with Moo and somehow ended up with two small pieces instead of one big one. I was able to go to the fabric store and get some extra fabric, though, so all was not lost. And the Hospital will end up with some extra pillowcases, so they win big time!

The blue edging bands were supposed to be one blue pillowcase, but now compliment 4 pillowcases. I think they came out really cute, if I do say so myself. My favorite is the blue fabric with the mugs of cocoa paired with a light green striped fabric. I love it and hope some cute little girl does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment