For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Friday, July 30, 2010

A New Blanket for a New Baby

When I was pregnant with Moo, I quit my job and spent endless hours daydreaming about the joys of motherhood. I'd sit on the couch, watch sappy movies on the Hallmark channel and knit little gifts for my bun in the oven. I made the cutest little hat with a big flower on the side, little booties that look like UGGS, a soft little security blanket made out of cotton chenille, well you get the picture. I continue to make new little gifts for Moo, but now the question arrises about the new baby...
What to do? I love the little items I made for Moo, but should I reuse those items for baby #2? Should I make baby #2 her own baby hat or use the one I made for Moo? I kind of think it would be nice to use the same hat, since it was SO cute, but I also think it would be nice for each to have their own "special" things. Someday when they have their own kids they can pull out the box and see their own little hats and booties and know how special they are and how loved they were even before they were born. Trouble is that I'm a *little* lacking in time these days. With Moo and the house AND the yard AND my Farmgirls AND and and...it seems I don't have time for much of anything these days. So I figured that I could still make something special for baby #2 but not knit it, since that is very time consuming...at least on a large scale. And thus, a blanket was born.
Super easy to make and I think it came out pretty cute. Since baby #2 will be born in the fall, I chose to make a nice warm, soft blanket to get her through the winter. Since she will be bunking with Mom & Dad, I picked a darling aqua & white almost animal cracker patterned fabric since that will look nice in our bedroom and the family room...I know, a bit selfish, but at the time I also didn't know the sex of the baby and wanted something that would work for a boy or a girl. So I purchased a yard each of the aqua patterned flannel, white flannel and enough satin blanket binding to cover the edges. Sewing was a cinch since the binding covered the edges - all I had to do was sew wrong sides together slap on the binding and I was done. The project took about an hour and now I have a cute, warm blanket for baby #2 with that satin binding all kids love to rub in colors that I won't hate to see hanging around on the couch for the next few years. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment