For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Monday, February 14, 2011

The New Name for a New Beginning


For some time now I've been dreaming of sheep. My parents can probably remember summer camping road trips that had us passing acre upon acre of green pastures and beautiful white, wooly sheep with a sigh from the backseat and a declaration that someday I would have sheep. I still dream of sheep, but I don't know how long it will take me to get there. Until then, I will use what I have and make do. I have a tiny backyard, which I am currently turning into a raised bed vegetable garden. I would have chickens if the HOA allowed them, which it does not, so right now a vegetable garden and fruit orchard (can I call it an orchard if it is five varietals...on one trunk?) are all I can do. So why consider that a failure in the grand farm scheme of things? On the contrary, I should be celebrating the change from focusing on what Taylor Swift was wearing at the Grammys and whether Natalie Portman is going to have a boy or a girl, to seed catalogs and researching rabbit breeds for possible livestock options. Hey, if you want fiber animals but can't have sheep, angora rabbits are a viable option - even for apartment dwellers. Today I realized that when my subscription to InStyle Magazine runs out, I should subscribe instead to Urban Farmer Magazine...or Hobby Farm...I already get Hobby Farm Home, thanks to a Christmas gift from Grandpa (best gift EVER!!!). Anyway, I think that made my heart sing for a minute...just to realize that I'm more into veggie gardens, than Hollywood. Nice.
So as the title of this post proclaimed, I have come up with a new name for this new beginning, the humble beginnings of my farm. It came from a complaint that the Hubs always has of me and my girls...I guess I passed down my gene for extremely poor circulation to them (sorry to all future in-laws). So the name of the new "farm" is, drum roll please....
I thought it was also appropriate because while looking around on-line to see if there were already a million other farms bearing the same name, I found a few sites discussing country/farm sayings and beliefs. Apparently, having cold hands is the sign of a warm heart. People with cold hands are to be trusted and befriended. Doesn't that just say it all? Cold hands, warm hearts. And yes, those are handprints from my children. Moo put hers on top and after much struggle and cajoling, I got Toots to put her x on the line too. I hope to keep this sign for eternity. It means so much to me.

3 comments:

  1. I know a lady in Norco who raises angora rabbits for fiber, she also sells some of her babies and she can tell you how to keep such an absurdly furry bunny comfortable in the scorching heat of summer. I'll ask my mom for the number this week and give it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipee! Thanks Heather! I've been looking on-line for names of breeders and have yet to find any around here. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I'll get the number to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete