For the Farmgirl at heart

Everything farmgirl, vintage, handmade, homemade, fabulous and fun!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

What are these?

Does anyone out there know what these things are? They are hard little capsules about the size of two grains of rice side by side. I found just this one clump of them on the main trunk of my flowering plum tree right near the top. I broke them off and they did not appear to be alive or bugs, really...just hard little nobs. I really had to snap them to get the things off and they did seem to take the outer most layer of bark with them. Haven't found them out there again and couldn't find them in the dirt...they are exactly the same color as our dirt. I wanted to put one in a jar and take it to the nursery, but I couldn't find it after I knocked it off. Anyway, if any of you know what these are, I'd really like to know.

1 comment:

  1. Those are scale insects; they suck the juices out of your trees and there an many different kinds but they all have about the same shape but vary greatly in size.

    Squash them or pick them off but don't leave them there!

    ReplyDelete